Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default What is the difference between ground and neutral from the perspective of the wall outlet working backward to the power company?

BTW, there is suppposed to be a separate wire from a cabinet screw in
the washing machine metal case to a ground, often clamped onto a cold
water pipe (assuming they aren't plastic. It has to be cold, not hot,
which wends its way through the water heater.).
This seems to me like the part of installation easiest to forget,
because there is no jack for that wire in the machine and no wire
dangling from the machine until you attach one. And lots of people
install washing machines without reading the directions.
But I'd make sure it's there and I'd put it on if it's not. I don't
know what happens when there is already a problem and the missing wire
is installed, but that's the way it should be.

AFAIK, there never was a washing machine of that timeframe or any timeframe,
where they told you to run a separate wire between a non-existent
ground terminal in the washing machine and a cold water pipe.
He's telling you the NEC hasn't talked about grounding anything to cold
water pipes for a long time. I've never seen any washing machine that
required anything beyond the cord and plug provided.

Micky was referring to one f these ...

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...machine-museum

John T.