Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Cable that looks like SWA but maybe isn't

On 29/07/2019 08:27, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 28 July 2019 22:16:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
I am trying to identify the cable that feeds our house consumer unit.
It was buried many years ago, before 1998 at least and quite likely
some years before that.

It's not a 'company' cable, the company fuse is outside, it used to
feed from an outdoor meter/company fuse, it now feeds (after a
re-route under the drive) from meter and company fuse in the garage.

It might be pre-metric SWA, the outside diameter is just over 23mm and
looks somewhat like black SWA. It's a three core cable with Red, Blue
and Yellow insulated cores.

I'd basically like to know what size it is if possible.

I'm not *absolutely* sure that it's armoured cable, was 'non armoured'
cable ever used?

--
Chris Green
ยท

At one time "concentric" stranded cable was popular.
Centre core is live.
Outer ring is half earth and half neutral strands
Neutral strands individually insulated.

More commonly called "split concentric"

Looks just like SWA externally.
https://www2.theiet.org/forums/forum...threadid=62807