Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Cable that looks like SWA but maybe isn't

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
Chris Green formulated the question :
I'm not *absolutely* sure that it's armoured cable, was 'non armoured'
cable ever used?

It could be lead/paper, which should be plumbed at the end and sealed
in a compound box. It could be a tough PVC armoured cable without the
steel armouring.

It's not lead/paper, the individual leads that enter the CU are fairly
normal looking PVC (I assume) insulated, Red, Blue, Yellow.

It certainly *could* be PVC only, that's sort of what I'd like to find
out. I'll try the magnet idea that someone else suggested.

Why not post a photo somewhere, to help identify it?

I'm not sure that that will help much, all you can see of the bit I
have exposed (in a dry lined wall which is about to be removed) is a
black plastic tube. I had originally thought it was a water pipe
because, wierdly, it has plastic foam insulation wrapped around it!
However all the plumbing is copper so I've decided the black plastic
thing must be the incomer.

--
Chris Green
ยท