Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default What is the difference between ground and neutral from the perspective of the wall outlet working backward to the power company?

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 19:58:16 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

This doesn't look quite right to me. Electricity tries to return
to its source
through all available routes, not to ground. You can have a lamp and
a tv running
on the same circuit, for example. Two lamps with incandescent bulbs of
different wattage will work on the same circuit.
Ground rods are for lightning protection. They won't do any real good
if there is a short to ground somewhere in the system.

I hope you hire an electrician when you have electrical problems, as
you do NOT understand electricity

I'm missing your point. What is it I don't get, specifically?

If you mean ONLY a ground rod I might agree with you. This is why code
EVERYWHERE requires a contiguous safety ground. True "ground return"
systems have been eliminated in all but a very few rural
electrification areas in the American Mid-west and Alberta - and some
parts of the "outback" down under as of 2012. A short to ground WILL
trip a breaker in any code compliant installation.

The ground rod functions PRIMARILY as lightning protection, but is
also a "local ground reference" tying the safety ground potential more
closely to "earth ground" potential.

The information on the spgsamerica.com site is incomplete and
therefore inaccurate.. Look at www.electriciantalk.com where it states
"Provides alternate, but limited, current path back to power company
transformer when grounded conductor, between service panel and power
company transformer, becomes severed. I've seen houses operate pretty
normal under this condition until I unplugged everything, except for
test loads, to exasperate the problem. "

Interesting reading at
https://iaeimagazine.org/magazine/20...se-in-the-nec/

Also read
https://www.thespruce.com/choosing-t...erials-1152287