Curmudgeon

Default Home Depot not for Do-It-Yourself'ers?

As many of the stories in this thread prove, there are a lot more consumers
trying to rip off the chain stores than the other way around. Their
good-will, no questions asked returns policies are biting them in the ass,
as deadbeats put old dishwashers back into factory boxes and return them.
A clerk at Lowes told me about 5 years ago that Monday mornings were a zoo
because so many people were buying stuff on Friday, using it all weekend
(ladders were a favorite) and then returning the stuff on Monday. Even when
they could see paint on the ladders, they were told to accept the return.
They finally got tough on that crap a year or two ago....

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message

"He Hoo" wrote in message
news
"Joseph" wrote in message
om...
[Snip - Home Depot sent wrong type sink]
They admit the screw-up was their fault. They also have told me that
there is no faucet made that will fit the holes the size of the
undermount sink. However, since they did not do the installation,
they will do nothing for me other than replace the sink with a
tile-in. The undermount sink currently resides in the middle of my
tiled countertop (cemented it).

There is certainly no defense for what Home Depot did. However,

consumers
are seeing more and more of this kind of behavior from stores. I don't
think it is going to get better in this lousy economy. Stores are

fighting
tooth-and-nail for profits, often at the cost of good customer service.

So, we learn from our mistakes and go on with life. The key is to

pursue
satisfaction to a reasonable degree with store management and lodge
complaints with the BBB and any state consumer agencies. That makes

sure
that future abuse of customers is documented so that the next complaint

is
taken more seriously. The BBB doesn't really have any power beyond the
ability to warn other customers of a store's bad past behavior.

Many newspapers also have a consumer watch section. These can have quite

bit of power over companies that refuse to give good customer service.

--
Mike D.

www.stopassaultnow.org

Remove .spamnot to respond by email

My personal experience is that these fights can take up an enormous

amount
of a customers time, and can sometimes yield no satisfaction. At some
point, you need to write down what happened and move on. Remember the
incident, learn from it and avoid the potential of it happening again.

I'll
bet that you will test the fixture size before you cement-in a sink next
time...

That is sometimes the best you can do.

Greg

---