Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Cable that looks like SWA but maybe isn't

On 28/07/2019 22:04, Chris Green wrote:
I am trying to identify the cable that feeds our house consumer unit.
It was buried many years ago, before 1998 at least and quite likely
some years before that.

It's not a 'company' cable, the company fuse is outside, it used to
feed from an outdoor meter/company fuse, it now feeds (after a
re-route under the drive) from meter and company fuse in the garage.

It might be pre-metric SWA, the outside diameter is just over 23mm and
looks somewhat like black SWA. It's a three core cable with Red, Blue
and Yellow insulated cores.

I'd basically like to know what size it is if possible.

I'm not *absolutely* sure that it's armoured cable, was 'non armoured'
cable ever used?

A magnet will tell you if it is armoured.