Posted to alt.home.repair
Hawk Hawk is offline

Default Does dish detergent kill germs on drinking cups?

On 7/28/2019 1:42 AM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 27 Jul 2019 21:29:04 -0500, "Andrew J. Luck"
wrote:

I know they sterilize beer mugs in bars but at home does the dish detergent
in hand washed glasses kill the bacteria from people's filthy mouths?

I don't think it kills anything. I think it washes away most of the
germs, all or almost all if you do a good job.

Heat would kill them. I doubt a dishwasher's hot water is hot enough to
kill t hem and I'm not sure if the dry cycle, which I never use, is hot
enough either.

The dishwashers job is to kill germs and bacteria. That's why it has
separate heating elements to increase water temp. The drying cycle is
also hot enough to kill germs.

But dishwashers usually do a great job of washing so I
doubt there are any germs left by the time the dry cycle would start.

But I don't worry about it. I'll drink from someone else's canteen,
water bottle, glass. I wipe the place where I put my mouth, but only so
they will think I'm civilized. Everytime I get sick and then get well
again, I figure I'm teaching my body how to make a different kind of
antibody.

It's not about you.