Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Does dish detergent kill germs on drinking cups?

On Saturday, July 27, 2019 at 11:11:36 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/27/2019 10:29 PM, Andrew J. Luck wrote:
I know they sterilize beer mugs in bars but at home does the dish detergent
in hand washed glasses kill the bacteria from people's filthy mouths?

Hot water (140 degrees) does more than the soap, but the detergent will
wash some away. Dishwashers do a better job as they can sanitize.

Depends on the detergent too. If it's regular detergent, it's not going
to kill most of the germs. There are antibacterial detergents that will
kill most germs, but not all and they are controversial. Unless you have
some medical condition with a compromised immune system, I don't see it
being an issue. Just do a reasonable job washing the glasses.