Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Does dish detergent kill germs on drinking cups?

micky wrote
Andrew J. Luck wrote

I know they sterilize beer mugs in bars but at home does the dish
detergent
in hand washed glasses kill the bacteria from people's filthy mouths?

I don't think it kills anything. I think it washes away most
of the germs, all or almost all if you do a good job.

Heat would kill them. I doubt a dishwasher's
hot water is hot enough to kill t hem

Yes it is.

and I'm not sure if the dry cycle, which I never use, is hot enough
either.

That's normally as hot.

But dishwashers usually do a great job of washing so I doubt
there are any germs left by the time the dry cycle would start.

But I don't worry about it. I'll drink from someone else's canteen, water
bottle, glass. I wipe the place where I put my mouth, but only so they
will think I'm civilized. Everytime I get sick and then get well again,

I figure I'm teaching my body how to make a different kind of antibody.