Charlie Bress

Default Home Depot not for Do-It-Yourself'ers?

"Joseph" wrote in message
om...
Just got done talking to my local Home Depot (for the second time)
regarding a foul-up on their part. I'm redoing my kitchen as the
first part of a remodel of the entire house. Anyways, I ordered a
tile-in sink from Home Depot to butt up against the new tile
countertop I'm putting in (no lip on the sink). The order says
tile-in sink. They sent me an undermount sink. The problem here is
that these two types of sinks are almost identical (at least in the
model I purchased). Same finish, same size...just that the undermount
has holes drilled that are too big for the faucets I purchased (they
dropped right through when I tried to install them).

They admit the screw-up was their fault. They also have told me that
there is no faucet made that will fit the holes the size of the
undermount sink. However, since they did not do the installation,
they will do nothing for me other than replace the sink with a
tile-in. The undermount sink currently resides in the middle of my
tiled countertop (cemented it).

The store manager has been no help in resolving this situation in an
equitable manner. No refund/replacement without the sink (torn out of
my counter) and no money/credit towards the removal of the existing
sink.

Can anyone who's run into a similar situation give me any help on ways
to get Home Depot to do what's right here? I'm a do-it-yourself'er
simply trying to make my dollars stretch. I would like to believe
that the home supply stores out there understand that. But when they
refuse to take responsibility for screw-ups like this, it makes me
wonder what a do-it-yourself'er is supposed to do.

- Joseph

I would make the argument that regardless of who installed the sink, the
root cause of the problem is their failure to deliver the right item.
Therefore, as the insurance guys would say, Home Depot should make you whole
again.
If your local TV stations have a consumer help line they may be willing to
get involved. There is nothing like a little adverse publicity on the tube
going out to lots of viewers in that HD's market area to cause some second
thoughts.
And then again the statement that "They also have told me that there is no
faucet made that will fit the holes the size of the
undermount sink." certainly points to them selling a product that they
know does not fit the criterion of fitness for the intended use. Ask the
store manage if he really wants to defend that position with your state's
consumer protection people and the states attorney-general.

Charlie