Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wiper blades

On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 14:49:40 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/27/2019 2:26 PM, Raphael wrote:

My advice, by OEM blades or high quality aftermarket. Don't waste your
money on cheap **** - it is, after all, your visibility in adverse
conditions that is at stake here.

Yes but.

The whole question is how to tell a "too stiff" wiper blade that "lacks UV
resistance" that is "harder" and "less flexible" such that it will not
"roll correctly" in operation, causing "poor wiping and noise?"

How does one know a "high quality aftermarket" from one that is not when
it's in your hands at the department store where one 14 inch blade costs $4
and another one costs $18 at that store and you have both in your hands?

Unless you are a chemist and familiar with the material, you just have
to trust the old "get what you pay for" routine.

Doubt many of us have a Durometer to check..I never had a premium brand
blade go bad on me, but I did have cheap ones not last long. Do you
want to take a chance to find out if the cheapo is going to work in a
downpour?

I just keep a spare set in my car under the seat (the coolest, darkest
space) and replace them every couple years rotating my stock.
The way it rains here, nobody wants to have shaky wipers and the sun
is murder on them, no matter what you paid.
I have been buying Michelins at Costco but the last time I was there
they had another brand. I do know throwing the whole blade assembly is
faster than screwing with the refills if you are doing it in the rain.
;-)