Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Switches in bathrooms, outside zone 2

On 25/07/2019 20:29, Roger Hayter wrote:
ARW wrote:

On 24/07/2019 13:46, wrote:
On 23/07/2019 21:55,
wrote:
AFAICS there is nothing preventing a regular wallplate switch being
used to control an electrically-heated towel rail in a bathroom
provided that the switch is outside zone 2 and the installation is
protected by a 30mA RCD. Have I missed anything?

Answering my own question ... although there is nothing specifically
against it there is the general provision that every item of equipment
is to be of a design appropriate to the situation in which it is to be
used, or its mode of installation shall take account of the conditions
likely to be encountered. Condensation is a concern so I'll put the FCU
outside the room.

It was one that I was questioned about on a NICEIC inspection a few
years ago.

I answered the question correctly about the zones and then said I would
not fit the switch in the same place in a hotel, youth hostel, scout hut
etc as the fit for use might be different to a professionals apartment.

Condensation was not mentioned. Horse play was.

I wouldn't put such a switch in my own bathroom, because of the risk of
it being operated with wet hands. More likely to cause unpleasant
tingles than real danger, but it might lead to complaints.

I agree, but struggle to find a difference between wet hands in a
bathroom (outside Z2) and having wet hands when walking through the
front door and turning the light on after being caught in a downpour.