Phisherman

Default Crab Grass Problems

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:02:44 -0500, "New Question" wrote:

We know a person that puts a certain kind of fertilizer on his lawn. The
fertilizer kills what he calls "crab grass" and turns it yellow-brown, while
the rest of the lawn is still green. So this guy always has a lawn full of
large, round, yellow-brown spots. He claims he must kill the crab grass
this way, then plant new grass seeds in the yellow-brown spots.

What is the best way to handle this "crab grass" problem?

There is a fairly new product that will kill crab grass, yet not harm
the lawn. How it works, I'm not sure. I usually dig it out.

I applied pre-emergence last week (for one of my client's lawn) and
will apply it again in 3 months. Crabgrass seeds can remain dormant
for 20 years.

If you overseed in the fall (or best time in your region) then
crabgrass will have a difficult time growing in a thickly planted
lawn. Most crabgrass problems arise from a sparse lawn.