Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Air pressure braking of trains, etc.

In article ,
wrote:
On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 11:31:40 AM UTC+1, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , blatha
writes

"Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer"
wrote in message ...
What is the difference in meaning between parked and parked up?

Listen and listen up?

Active and proactive? (I knew about active and reactive)

Antennae and antennas?

Are these crass Americans taken up by the literacy-challenged
of this country?

Living languages change over time. That‘s why even
you lot now talk about airports instead of airfields,

There's a difference. When flying was new, a port was where ships
sailed in and out of - and a place of entry and exit to/from the
country. Otherwise it was usually a 'harbour'. By analogy, an
'airport' is usually large and international - and an 'airfield'
isn't. However, a word rarely used in modern parlance is 'aerodrome'.

train stations instead of railway stations

'Train station' drives me mad. However, we seem to accept 'bus station'
(a place where buses stand still for longish periods). You could argue
that rails ALWAYS stand still, no matter where they are.

and even get
really depraved and use words like OK at times too.

It's better than 'alright' (as a single word). It's also international.

Don't get me going about people who now habitually start sentences with
"So" instead of "Well".
--
Ian

In Northern Ireland police stations are commonly called police barracks

could that be that some police live there?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England