Posted to alt.home.repair
\[email protected] \Retired@Home.com is offline

Default Cutting into a tennis ball- DECIDED ON METHOD

On 7/20/19 5:44 PM, wrote:
Need to cut an 1.5" X into 96 tennis balls. (To attach to classroom
chair legs, if you must know ;-)

So far, a box cutter is not getting it done, neither a small "cutting"
wheel from a dremel kit

Best so far is with ball held in a vise, and using a miter box saw to
cut 2 1.5" slits in ball to form X. But this is a bit tedious for 96 x 2
cuts.

Thought of a table saw, but fingers would be too close to blade for my
comfort

Tried looking for a dremel type cutter that would go in a drill motor,
but haven't seen anything I want to pay for if it does not work any
better than miter saw.

Any suggestions ??

Wow ! I never expected so many responses :-)

After reading all of them, and considering we don't have access to the
school's shop during summer, and it's too hot in my garage, I wanted a
method I could use at my desk in air-conditioned room.

That method is using a very sharp Xacto-type knife to make the X cut. I
plan on doing about 10 a day over the next few weeks.

Re the outfit that made a business of selling pre-holed balls, nice
source if you can handle the $1+ per ball cost. We got ours free, and my
labor is free. Our school is tight with money for things like this.

The drill press & Forstner bit method would have been neat if we had access.

Also, as Hawk posted, the stick-on type felt pads don't last. That's
what we are replacing, as many others schools have done.

Again, thanks to all,
Retired Grampa