Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default How good/bad is powerline networking, especislly with more thantwo devices?

On 20/07/2019 09:42, wrote:
On Saturday, 20 July 2019 08:16:15 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
I do remember some years back when Plasma screens were in, that
putting the house one on completely obliterated powerline
internet,...

I remember decades ago that next door's TV (just through the wall)
made nasty whistling noises on our Radio 4 Long Wave mains valve
receiver.

We just put up with it though. People did in those days.

In a similar way I got a very early practical introduction to display
screen security.

I had a VIC20 setup at school, feeding a 12" B&W TV via its RF output.
However said TV was also used for TV watching via a portable Labgear log
periodic aerial. The reception conditions were not ideal, so an
Antiference set back style aerial amp helped. To save titting about
moving leads each time, there was a 2 into one splitter/combiner being
used to merge the aerial and RF output from the computer. On one
occasion this had been setup with the combiner feeding the input of the
amp. In effect adding some gain to both the live TV feed from the aerial
and the computer's display output. One day we got a visit from lads from
the room above to announce they were watching me playing Astro Blitz[1]
on *their* TV. Their TV tuned like mine with a continuous rotating
control and no presets. So you either just twiddled until you found a
decent looking station, or made a mental not of the channel number
printed on the knob bezel. However that did mean you could end up
unintentionally doing a visual scan or anything and everything that the
TV Was able to pick up just by changing channel. Turns out my aerial
setup was also broadcasting the computer output well enough to get a
fuzzy picture on a TV 20' away.

[1]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El7MvkyWWRA

--