Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Cutting into a tennis ball

On 07/20/2019 04:58 PM, wrote:
And I also have been involved with her 7th grade students with science
projects as most in this relatively affluent school district have never
used a screwdriver or drill, etc before. And you're right, most have
never had to fix anything. It's always just "call the guy".

At the engineering school I went to, the Indian students were recognized
as very bright but if you wound up with one as a lab partner you didn't
let him touch tools if physical apparatus was involved. At least in that
era most students from India came from well-to-do families that always
called the guy. US kids that wanted a career in engineering had been
taking things apart since their first PlaySkool workbench.

Sadly, I think the US is catching up to real world incompetence.