Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default 18th Amendment wiring regs.

On 20/07/2019 12:25, Andy Burns wrote:
Tricky Dicky wrote:

The risks of power surges seems quite low, to my knowledge I have
never experienced one certainly not one that has resulted in damage
or injury. It seems that the IET is getting to the point of trying to
eliminate any risk no matter how small. To be honest it seems more
faff to do the CRL calculation and the risk assessment than to stomp
up the money and the few minutes to fit the device.

Quite a lot of the youtube sparkies seem to fit Hager CUs, and recently
they seem to be fitting SPD versions (sponsored?) though some of them
say if the customer doesn't want to pay, they get a disclaimer from the
customer and don't bother.

I had a look at the Hager brochure, which shows 20 and 40 way CUs
brimming with SPDs, RCCBs and AFDDs (and incidentally shows quite sloppy
amounts of copper poking out of terminals)

https://www.hager.co.uk/files/download/0/373205_1/0/HAGER-RESIDENTIAL-CATALOGUE.PDF

£90 quid for replacement SPD cartridges? hmm.Â* £90 per AFDD that AFAIR
john ward couldn't force to trip on very obvious arcs? hmm.

Guess how many I have fitted on a domestic property?

--
Adam