Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default How good/bad is powerline networking, especislly with more than two devices?

I do remember some years back when Plasma screens were in, that putting the
house one on completely obliterated powerline internet, but then the set
also obliterated almost all frequencies from medium wave up to about 24mhz,
goodness knows what nasty power supply was in the thing, a Sharp I seem to
recall.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 10:52:17 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

I am investigating my options for getting the LAN to work as well as
poosible around our property.

If you've got "work" going on now, including rewiring etc, I'd bite the
bullet and lay in enough ethernet cable (cat5e/cat6 your choice) to do
it properly,

Agreed.

I know Brian and co dislike powerline for interference
reasons,

Apparently.

but the real reason to avoid it, is that it's never as fast,

Not as always fast as wired, no, but often faster than WiFi under many
circumstances and generally a lot easier than drilling holes and
running cable. ;-)

or
as reliable.

Again, 'than cable', probably but I'd say more reliable than WiFi
under difficult circumstances and can be pretty reliable.

A mate has a long thin house and wanted wireless coverage over the
house for phones, tablets and laptops etc.

Whilst he was having some rework done, I got him to run Cat5e to key
locations but he wasn't able (at that point) to get cable though to
the rear addition. So, that area is covered using a pair of Powerline
adaptors (the remote with WiFi) and it has 'just worked' for a long
time now. In fact, the only times it hasn't worked is when the cable
feeding the end of the house failed!

Daughter has PL to a gaming PC in a remote bedroom in the flat and
that too has worked faultlessly (and after power outages etc).

But yes, I would always try to go for wired over anything else, given
the choice, but if it's not portable, PL can be pretty good.

Sister couldn't get reasonable performance (buffering) from a NowTV
box when using WiFi. Went to PL and it's been fine ever since.

Cheers, T i m