Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default How good/bad is powerline networking, especislly with more thantwo devices?

On 19/07/2019 15:48, Tim+ wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 19/07/2019 11:32, Chris Green wrote:

Finally, do any of the more reasonably priced 'mesh' systems have
wired interconnections between the mesh boxes? Just relying on the
WiFi to connect them is a bit hopeful in our house.

You don't need a mesh system for wired interconnects - ordinary APs will
do for that.

The whole point of mesh is it establishes potentially multiple
connections between the devices giving redundancy and added throughput.
So to work well you need enough of them in a layout that allows them to
actually mesh rather than forming a long chain.

But doesn't mesh mean that client devices will 'roam' transparently,
whereas adding wired WiFi access points won't do this (i.e. it's down
to the client, or me, to change WiFi connection).

Exactly.

Before we had the mesh system we had to have a homeplug Wi-Fi access point
in our bedroom to get adequate coverage there. The problem was though that
our bedroom is at the front of the house and our phones would always latch
on to it whenever we drove into the driveway. Wed find then that when
when we passed trough to the back of he house and our main living areas,
our phones would hang on like grim death to the bedroom access point
despite a much stronger signal from the router in the hall downstairs.

We were always having to manually switch our access from one to the other
manually. If got to be a real pain in the arse.

You can get round that a bit by enabling fast roaming on the APs if they
support it. It allows caching of credentials and makes handovers much
faster to different APs. Some also have a mechanism for an AP to boot a
client off if the link quality is suffering.

--
Cheers,

John.