Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default How good/bad is powerline networking, especislly with more than two devices?

Pamela wrote:
On 15:56 19 Jul 2019, David Wade wrote:

On 19/07/2019 10:52, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

I am investigating my options for getting the LAN to work as well as
poosible around our property.

If you've got "work" going on now, including rewiring etc, I'd bite the
bullet and lay in enough ethernet cable (cat5e/cat6 your choice) to do
it properly, I know Brian and co dislike powerline for interference
reasons, but the real reason to avoid it, is that it's never as fast, or
as reliable.

Also as current practice moves away from ring mains to radial systems
(or at least smaller rings) with perhaps multiple RCBOs you may find
that performance becomes limited because the couls in the RCBOs filter
the signal...

Dave

Worse than that, my powerline adapters are noticeably worse if I plug them
into trailing sockets. I get poorer throughput and more dropouts.

The adapters are by Netgear and the trailing sockets seems reasonable
quality.

Yes, that's what I found too, they work much better when plugged into
wall sockets.

--
Chris Green
ยท