Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default How good/bad is powerline networking, especislly with more than two devices?

On 19 Jul 2019 18:23:42 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

Chris Green wrote:
I am investigating my options for getting the LAN to work as well as
poosible around our property. We are having quite a lot of changes
done at the moment (new shower room, balcony, etc.) and so some parts
of the existing cat5e plus WiFi will have to move and/or be replaced.

I live somewhere with no cat5, wifi propagation is a bit lacking, and every
room is going through a separate MCBO (so powerline is going to be slow).
However there is CT100 from every room to an aerial amp in the loft.

My current plan is to run Bonded MoCA ethernet-over-coax which coexists with
DVB-T by using the same bit of spectrum as satellite would do. It's popular
in the US with cable TV companies, but not popular over here.

I bought a couple of these gigabit adaptors:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Ad...dp/B07C38WBWZ/

but I'm going to return them and order some of these 2.5Gbit versions:
https://www.gocoax.com/products
when they get more stock (8-10 weeks they said).

They work a bit like ADSL - the box filters off TV to one port, and then
presents ethernet on an RJ45. It behaves essentially like shared-medium
ethernet. For the coax you need a F-type splitter and a filter to stop the
power backfeeding into the aerial amp.

Crafty. ;-)

Cheers, T i m