Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Wire saw - how effective at cutting steel cable + recommendations

On 19/07/2019 16:33, David wrote:
On a cycle trip earlier this week and one of the group made the classic
mistake of padlocking the bike with a flexible cable lock without checking
that the key matched the lock.

A bit of frantic planning later and we located a set of bolt croppers at a
railway station on the route and managed to get the cable cut.

However I don't want to carry my bolt croppers just in case, and was
wondering if the survival type wire saws would (eventually) cut such a
cable.

If so, is there a recommendation?

They seem to come ridiculously cheap or quite expensive but I have no idea
how effective each one is.

Cheers

Dave R

I thought I would try carrying one for lopping off branches over
bridleways. Maybe they are OK for super fit military types but I found
them very hard work. I now carry a small folding pruning saw if I expect
to need it. Even the just under 3 inch saw on a swiss army knife is better.

I imagine you would need the expensive (diamond?) ones for metal. I
think you would find them very slow, and also not necessarily easy to
maintain pressure on a small area.