Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Wire saw - how effective at cutting steel cable + recommendations

On 19/07/2019 16:41, Tim+ wrote:
David wrote:
On a cycle trip earlier this week and one of the group made the classic
mistake of padlocking the bike with a flexible cable lock without checking
that the key matched the lock.

A bit of frantic planning later and we located a set of bolt croppers at a
railway station on the route and managed to get the cable cut.

However I don't want to carry my bolt croppers just in case, and was
wondering if the survival type wire saws would (eventually) cut such a
cable.

I doubt it.

If so, is there a recommendation?

When I had to cut a cable lock after €śclicking€ť it on (and leaving key at
home) I was able to borrow a small wire cutter. By nibbling away at the
individual wires (or a few at a time) it didnt take that long to chew
through the cable.

I imagine a junior hacksaw would do the job too but not tried that.

For something small, light and effective, I would have though a cordless
Dremel with an abrasive disk AKA mini angle grinder :-)

--
Colin Bignell