Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Welding machine, point and squeeze the trigger?

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 10:29:03 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 09:50:48 -0400
Clare Snyder wrote:

Forget MIG - likely just flux-core - and I can buy a 130 amp FDS
flux core welder for $128 CANADIAN - thats a Benjamin for you
Americans.

??? My MIG is a Millermatic 200. Bought new maybe 20 years ago for
around $1800. With solid .035 wire and argon 75/25 mix it can easily
weld 3/8 inch material in one pass. Probably not the best way to do
most jobs though.

These are serious machines for repair and production work when you get
into the more expensive, well built units...

Not disputing that at all - whether used in sputter (pulsed or
globular spray) or short circuit mode.

I'm still partial to SMAW (stick) welding when I need to deposit lots
of metal or get deep penetration. The AC/DC tombstone is my personal
welding machine of choice For fine work TIG is more easily controlled
- and I am more likely to break out the acetylene torch or take it to
one of 2 friends who are very proficient with the TIG.
Nothing wrong with a GOOD MIG weld -but I've never made a good one -
and it is too easy to make a butt ugly weld that holds, or a good
looking (to the untrained eye) weld that is no good at all.

Been playing with a "cobra" or "henrob" torch recently - gives
control approaching TIG for fine work.