Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default 18th Amendment wiring regs.

On 18/07/2019 23:29, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I understand that the only changes to the latest 17th amendment CUs is the addition of SPDs, however I believe there are exceptions to the rule depending on the type of property and the number of occupants. So would a two bedroom bungalow with two occupants fall into the exception category?

With luck someone who really knows will be along i.d.c. with a simple,
reassuring answer.

In the meantime...while looking at a new CU here I depressed myself by
looking at Appendix B to the BEAMA guide (link below) which sets out
what's involved in deciding if an SPD is needed. I was lucky. It has
an example which fits here to a T with the answer "not a requirement".
Be warned though, Appendix B seriously confirmed my belief that the regs
are getting beyond the capacity of the average sparks.

There is (assuming you don't have an overhead supply) an exception for
"for single dwelling units where the total value of the installation
and equipment therein does not justify such protection and the
consequential losses are tolerable." But that seems to me a bit of a
minefield when it "is further explained in IEC 60364-4-44 which states
that overvoltage protection is not required for single dwelling units
where the total economic value of the electrical installation to be
protected is less than five times the economic value of the SPD located
at the origin of the installation". I suspect rather few homes don't
have a TV, PVR, washing machine, etc at risk from a surge worth more
than 5 times the cost of an SPD.

And I was also left wondering how insurance companies would deal with on
a claim for losses due to a power surge if no SPD was fitted post-18th.
Want to see a risk assessment from a pro before paying out?

http://www.beama.org.uk/asset/186E3B...9624295252303/

--
Robin