Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Arlen G. Holder Arlen G. Holder is offline

Default How the heck does a typical home transfer switch work?

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 11:43:12 -0400, wrote:

There are literally dozens of varieties of fuses with different
ratings of how they blow in that configuration. I would try to find
out what Generac specs as the right fuse. For trouble shooting
purposes a 2a or 4a in any rating would work based on what you are
saying but long term I would get the one they spec. You could go to an
electrical supply or order them online. Home Depot is only going to
have the most popular sizes and ratings.

Thanks for that helpful advice where I gave up trying to source at a local
hardware store since I had tried three local box stores, none of which sold
the Buss BBS-4 or BBS-5 600V fuses
o Ace, Home Depot, Lowes

I called Generac today, where I was surprised to find that they don't have
an "opening" time - their customer support is open 24/7/365, which is
surprising in this day and age, don't you think?
o 888-GENERAC (888-436-3722) extension 4, extension 2 (or 262-544-4811)

They confirmed there is no separate manual for the 79848A transfer panels;
the transfer panels are covered in the 32-page owners manual (PN 98374) for
the Generac 09067-9 8KW propane generator itself (where the manual is
mostly about the generator but it does have a few pages about the transfer
switch).

There IS a parts diagram though, which gave me the Generac part numbers
o PN 63617 Transfer Relay https://i.postimg.cc/s20K8nkZ/transfer04.jpg
o PN 73590 BSS-2 Fuse 2A https://i.postimg.cc/DwTNdMhv/transfer05.jpg
o PN 71340 100Amp 2pole Relay https://i.postimg.cc/TYq0GY8x/transfer03.jpg
etc.

Generac told me the cheapest place to get the parts is usually
o https://www.jackssmallengines.com/
But they also said there is a good Generac parts lookup engine at
o https://www.ordertree.com/

Where I ran a quick price survey of the three parts above for reference:
o PN 63617 Transfer Relay $18 at Jacks, $25 at Tree
o PN 73590 BSS-2 Fuse 2A $6 at Jacks, $9 at Tree
o PN 71340 100Amp 2pole Relay $243 at Jacks, $287 at Tree
etc.

The nice thing about Usenet is that I like to give back to the team, as
you're aware (where I respond to all that are helpful at the same time I
try to ignore the worthless trolls) - where these two outfits "seem" to be
generally useful to source manufacturure parts for MORE than just Generac.
o https://www.jackssmallengines.com/
o https://www.ordertree.com/

Do folks here know of other outfits useful for sourcing common brand name
part numbers for these types of electrical parts (pumps, motors, openers,
etc.)?