Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Netbook, back again

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 00:30:44 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 17/07/2019 17:28, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 12:50:49 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip good info

As it happens,
for daughter, the ability to access work photos that she may have been
processing at home, from work (or anywhere) might actually be useful
to her.

The whole "personal cloud" thing is something they push these days.

It's just yet another ongoing cost (if not limited or on your own kit
etc).

Well the point about the personal bit is using your NAS as the storage,
and just providing access to it like it were in the cloud. So it does
not as such represent an ongoing cost other than the lekky to run the
NAS (which you would be paying anyway).

Understood (thanks for clearing up my 'if' above). ;-)

snip

https://www.netgear.com/home/product...px#tab-techspe

"Power Consumption - Wake on LAN 1.0W"

I might have considered it to mean 'wake on access' if they hadn't
specifically used the term Wake on Lan (which I have set / used etc)?
I might just be being wary because I've experienced cheap NAS's in the
past that require 'special software' to use them fully (that then
becomes an issue when using numerous machines and Linux etc).

Sounds like its real WoL :

https://kb.netgear.com/23119/What-is...storage-system

Agreed, thanks again John.

I'm going to stick the TeraStation back on the power monitor socket.
When I first got it it wasn't on the LAN and I saw it quickly go to
sleep (40W to 7W).

I wiped it, re-configured it to RAID1 and put it online but it seems
to be active all the time?

Cheers, T i m