Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Bosch tumble dryer: delay after switching on

On 18/07/2019 05:36, wrote:
It's a condenser model, about 10 years old. The fault is that when the rotating switch is turned from the off position to any of the programs ("very dry", "cupboard dry" etc.), which normally causes an LED to light up and the machine to be ready for action (pressing the "start" button should set things in motion), there is a significant delay.

If the machine has been recently in operation, then there is no delay in lighting the LED when a program is selected. However, if the machine has been turned off for a few hours or more, then the delay is around 45-60 seconds. To be clear, it isn't an LED fault; the machine will not begin operating until the LED lights up and there is an audible click (a relay, I assume) when it does.

My first thoughts are a knackered built-in battery or a dead capacitor. Does that sound about right? If the machine still works (with a delay) in its current state, then I'm not sure what function the battery/capacitor is supposed to have. Maybe power for a memory function in the event of a mains disruption, to allow the machine to pick up where it left off?

Advice welcome.

Thanks.

Ant.

My non-condensing machine switches off when it decides it is dry, but
often re-starts a few times before it finally stops.

So this could perhaps be a sensor holding it "off" until it is happy
that it is damp enough to be required to be running. Given that all
tumble driers collect fluff to some extent (even if not around the
heating elements, like Whirlpools) I think I might also be looking for
fluff in the air passageways, particularly around sensors.