Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer is offline

Default Extending lighting cable inside a stud wall

On 16/07/2019 14:46, Roger Hayter wrote:
Bert Coules wrote:

Charles F wrote:

One other thing to consider is that cable runs have to be in standard
positions when run in walls.

Thanks for that. I can use a blanking plate, that won't be a problem.

Did you see my other question about extending the cable? The present box
has three earths, two twisted live and one single live. Can I run single
cables from the earths and the twisted lives to the new switch or should I
maintain the separate cables for the run and only join them at the new
location?

Single wires will be fine. One of the exising wires is single, and that
is the limiting factor on the circuit anyway. 1mm T & E is probably
fine, but if you use 1.5mm on a lighting circuit fused at 6 or 10A it is
almost impossible for it to be wrong. Since both wires (which are not
the earth wire) are live the blue wire could do with brown sleeving both
ends.

Or black with red sleeving depending on how old the reserve of unused
cable is.