Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Dead GFCI outlet

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 14 Jul 2019 11:46:01 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 8:05:58 AM UTC-7, trader_4 wrote:

Thanks a lot for advice.

Must not be much of an electrician. Didn't he do the process to find
the bad connection? You have the overhead of the visit, once there
most times they should be able to find it pretty easily, unless something
unusual is going on, like illegal splices that are inaccessible inside a wall.
Plus the electrician should have a sniffer device to help trace the circuit.

Yeah that was pretty much useless. Charged $150 for 5 minutes to tell me what I already knew. Anything further he wanted to open up the wall.

Wow. Thanks for saving me 150 some time in the future. Wait. Was 150
his service call and he didn't use a sniffer, or he said he did but
didn't tell you anything.

Breakers fail. Outlets sometimes fail. Connections fail. What afaik
is least likely to fail are the wires in bewtween the breaker and the
outlet.

Do you know which breaker it's on? If so, start by finding out what else
is on that breaker. Find out if everything else works or not. Closest
thing that still works, I'd take a look inside there for loose connections.
It's basically tracing the route of the circuit from the breaker to the GFCI
to find where it's disconnected.
Is it just that GFCI, nothing after it that also does not work? What is the
purpose of the GFCI, where is it? That may help figure out what circuit it's
on if you don't know it.

This is one of the two GFCIs in the kitchen. The other one is working fine. GFCI that is dead is on a separate breaker which I have isolated. GFCI is protecting four other outlets. And they are all dead.

So it's the breaker, not the outlets.

I opened up all 4 outlets and pretty much checked each of them for loose wire/ connections etc and they all seem to be fine.