Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dead GFCI outlet

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 18:26:29 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 9:00:59 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 17:36:33 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 3:41:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 14:01:49 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 13:00:06 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 02:14:37 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have a dead GFCI outlet. Called electrician. Assessment lose connection or broken wire somewhere between breaker box and GFCI outlet. Since this outlet is in kitchen and wires are running behind tile wall I dont want to damage the tiling. What should be the step by step process to find where the fault is in path from

Breaker
GFCI?

How old is the house? Before the 70s they would sometimes have other
loads on the kitchen circuits. Trader is right, look for any other
load on that circuit that either works with the breaker on, not off or
that is dead. Look in that box for a bad connection. Other than that
it might be easier to fish in a new wire.

Wires VERY seldom fail.

Except for the infamous "6 penny fade" (more often a drywall screw
these days).
The actual failure might show up years later when that nicked wire
finally blows open. If it is the neutral, nobody would have even
noticed the "tingle" and being on the line side of the GFCI you get no
help there.

Yes, we don't even know if it's the hot or the neutral that's open.
I hope the OP has the skills to do the testing. How easy this is to
fix depends on how accessible the wiring is. If a box with a loose
connection can't be found, then like you say, easiest is probably to
run a new piece of cable to the GFCI and either cut the existing cable
off near the kitchen if that's possible, or run a new cable all the
way from the breaker, if that's easier.

If this is an older house I still would not give up on another
receptacle or light in that circuit on the line side of the GFCI and
it may be a Harry Homeowner Special in the basement attic or
crawlspace.

Agree, which is why I said the OP should be sure all receptacles, lights,
etc that are anywhere near the kitchen all work with the breaker for the
bad circuit both on and off.

Bootleg, outlets lighting or receptacle may be in strange places. That
is why I suggested the attic, crawlspace or basement. Look for
something out of the ordinary, a plastic box if the rest of them are
metal or some staples pulled loose to drag up a little extra wire for
a box. When someone is cheating on the 6" "free conductor" thing, it
is easy to make a bad splice.