Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Anybody ever painted a phone?

On Friday, 12 July 2019 04:14:37 UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 12:42:28 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

A simple solution to pulse dialling phones is to use an old
answerphone remote control. Just dial your number on that instead.
NT

I hope you're not suggesting acoustic coupling. Over the years, I've
owned various "tone dialer" boxes:
https://www.ebay.com/bhp/tone-dialer
Mostly, I used them to couple into a 2way radio microphone to control
a repeater or to simulate DTMF paging. When I attempted to
acoustically couple any of these devices to the telephone mouthpiece
in order to dial a number, I would get misdials, erratic dialing, and
a general failure to cooperate. Just like the bad old days of
Anderson Jacobson acoustically coupled 300 baud modems, it didn't work
very well. I had one device that plugged into the phone line via an
RJ-11 jack, which did work reliably.

At one time I used handheld remotes to dial old phones, never had a problem with it.

NT