Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Anybody ever painted a phone?

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 20:14:28 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 12:42:28 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

A simple solution to pulse dialling phones is to use an old
answerphone remote control. Just dial your number on that instead.
NT

I hope you're not suggesting acoustic coupling. Over the years, I've
owned various "tone dialer" boxes:
https://www.ebay.com/bhp/tone-dialer
Mostly, I used them to couple into a 2way radio microphone to control
a repeater or to simulate DTMF paging. When I attempted to
acoustically couple any of these devices to the telephone mouthpiece
in order to dial a number, I would get misdials, erratic dialing, and
a general failure to cooperate. Just like the bad old days of
Anderson Jacobson acoustically coupled 300 baud modems, it didn't work
very well. I had one device that plugged into the phone line via an
RJ-11 jack, which did work reliably.

Back in the day I used to have no trouble using acoustic coupling
(that's tones right?) to get free long distance from pay phon..e....s.
er, I take that back. I used to hear about people using tones to get
free long distance. Someone called Cap'n Crunch I think. I mean, the
info was available in passed around mimeographed sheets all over my
highschool campus. Anybody coulda done it.
Anonymous