Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default My 64 bit Mesh machine switches off after about 10 sec.

On 11/07/2019 12:50, Richardmerri wrote:
On Wednesday, 10 July 2019 10:41:17 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 08/07/2019 20:01, GB wrote:
On 08/07/2019 19:57, Richardmerri wrote:
On Monday, 8 July 2019 17:47:43 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 08/07/2019 15:39, Richardmerri wrote:
Hello all. Can anyone help? My 64 bit Mesh machine (mesh
computer nero 9950hd) switches off about 10 sec. after
switching on. Can anyone suggest a way forward to identify
the cause of this problem... Any help would be much
appreciated.

Richard.

At a guess it is so loaded up with gaming hardware the PSU
cant cope

-- "A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when
substituted for insight and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Grateful thanks to everyone... I had to be away for awhile but
now I can respond to all the points mentioned... Both CPU and
Case fans are running okay, there was some, but not much, dust
in the CPU heatsink but all that has been cleaned when removing
the processor. The motherboard appears to be physically
'sound' with no blown caps. I have run the machine with minimum
load on the PSU and with covers removed but still the same
delinquent behaviour... The actual delay is circa 12/16
seconds. I had a similar problem about six years ago when the
machine simply shut down without warning after one to four
hours and the solution at that time was to replace the PSU. So
my strategy now is to obtain a known good PSU as GB suggests so
I'll replace the 500W version with a 600W new from eBay?? I
will keep everyone apprised.

Get a decent PSU.

That will be more than the computer is worth. It's 10 years old, so
unless it has a Firewire port which is used for something I would
get a newer one.

A 500watt PS should be plenty powerful enough for most purposes.

If you must get a new P/S, go for one with a higher efficiency
rating, described as "80+" gold/white/bronze etc

Thanks again and kindest to regards all... Richard.

Me again! I am now faced with the problem of accessing the data on
the Mesh machine hard drive which has two NTFS partitions, one for
the OS and the largest one for the data. I have a 64 bit machine
running Linux Mint which has a spare SATA port to which I can connect
the ex. Mesh hard drive but I suspect that Linux will not directly
read the data files?

It should

Pretty sure NTFS is pretty commonly avialable and directly recognised by
Mint

you will need to issue the appropriate mount command, or in fact the GUI
file manager may be able to do that in a point and clcky way.
..

Just pop them in the sata drive bays plug em in and boot linux

See what pops up in the deafult file manager

I believe the Linux kernel may have a sequence that will read NTFS
files... Can anyone help me here?

Kernel level is OK for NTFS for sire.

Kind regards... Richard

too dark to read.