Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default flourescent tubes

On 10/07/2019 16:21, Brian Gaff wrote:
While you are all bickering over spellink, let me say that a tube right on
the edge of going out can be used by simply removing the starter once its
been on for a bit. it seems that the tube heat can keep it conducting, but
not as efficiently as it should be, indeed lamps working like this can be
very strobe like and indeed sometimes you see kind of waves snaking along
making parts of the phosphor brighter or darker. I guess its to do with
whether the gas inside is being ionised enough to keep the thing alight,
the starter system often detects tubes working inefficiently this way ands
not yet struck and tries to pulse them with a high voltage but all that does
is making go on and off.
Change the tube before it wears out the starter!
I'm assuming here this is your bog standard little heater bimetal strip
wotsit.
Brian

changed the tube and it is still doing it...but I get what you say ,......