Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default flourescent tubes

While you are all bickering over spellink, let me say that a tube right on
the edge of going out can be used by simply removing the starter once its
been on for a bit. it seems that the tube heat can keep it conducting, but
not as efficiently as it should be, indeed lamps working like this can be
very strobe like and indeed sometimes you see kind of waves snaking along
making parts of the phosphor brighter or darker. I guess its to do with
whether the gas inside is being ionised enough to keep the thing alight,
the starter system often detects tubes working inefficiently this way ands
not yet struck and tries to pulse them with a high voltage but all that does
is making go on and off.
Change the tube before it wears out the starter!
I'm assuming here this is your bog standard little heater bimetal strip
wotsit.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 09/07/2019 18:51, ARW wrote:
On 09/07/2019 18:01, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 09/07/2019 17:32, Graham. wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok ....replaced
the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok again...what
is
wrong...the tube?....

Either the new starter is faulty or is for a lower wattage lamp.
Is the one you are using described as a "universal starter"?

no.....85w

T12 florescent tube?

FLUORESCENT FFS!!!!

pickey pickey