Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Seeking higher security Sliding Doors

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 09 Jul 2019 22:48:11 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 15:59:04 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hi, I need to replace a sliding glass door on the back of my house. I know sliding doors can be lifted out of the track by a burglar.

Not very easily when they're shut and latched, although they can be
unlatched from the outside by removing the plug that is where the lock
would go for those who have an outside lock for the SGD. Or by drilling
out the lock if it has a lock. Most average burglars don't seem to do
either of these, but who knows if yours will be average.

So at least as important as keeping the door from being lifted up is
keeping it from being opened, once it's unlatched. To do that put a
board or a piece of metal conduit in the track where the door would go
if opened. You can have two lengths, one full length for when you're
away and one ~6" shorter than that, so you can have the door open for a
breeze when you're home but the space is too small for anyone to get in.

I just use the 6" shorter one all the time. Breakins are very uncommon
around here. (I subscribe to a crime reporter so I know.)

Putting something on the floor in the channel is, it seems, better than
those square cross section rods that come attached and hinged half-way
up the door. I've heard one can slip a tool in and lift them up.
Harder to do with one on the floor because the burglar can't see it.

He can still get in but if you make it difficult, he'll go to the next
house.

Are there any makes/models of sliding glass doors that offer higher security ? Thanks

Your current one is fine.

My Andersen 400s have a cleat inside that needs to be removed to tilt
the door and get it off the track. The top rail barely clears the
door.
There is an after market fix tho. You cut a strip of wood or trex that
fills the gap between the door and the top of the top rail. You have
to open the door to remove the strip and the door will not lift off
the track with it in place.

You probably had to unscrew and take a metal piece off the end to get
access to the area. Easy to sscrew it back on later.

A broom stick is about the right size, but look to see how much higher
the top of the broom stick is than the top of the door was. (or how far
it is from the top of the broom stick to the top of the channel) You
don't have to cram it in, but it needs to be tall enough that one can no
longer lift the door enough to take the door out.

Once it's in, you don't have to worry about it until, possibly, the
wheels wear out and you have to take the door out. They're very heavy.
Post back if you ever want to do that.

Easier than lowering the wheels (that is, raising the door by the
lowering the wheels.)