Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Seeking higher security Sliding Doors

wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 09:16:56 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote

Hi, I need to replace a sliding glass door on the back of my house.
I know sliding doors can be lifted out of the track by a burglar.

Mine can't. After the sliding part is put on the track, you lower the
wheels by inserting a screwdriver in a hole at the end of the door.
That stops the bottom of the door being able to be moved out
of the track until the wheels are raised again. The burglar can't
get to those holes. The one closes to the lock can only be
used once the door is unlocked and the other one can only
be accessed from inside the house with the door locked.

The fixed pane has a L bracket that is screwed into the track
and the door panel.

Are there any makes/models of sliding glass doors that offer higher
security ?

You can get pins that go thru the tracks and the bottom metal
frame of the door from the inside which prevent the door from
being lifted while the pins are in place. Not so convenient to
use tho because they need to be removed before the door
can be opened.

And whatever you do securing the panes, the thief can just smash
the glass. But you can get smashed glass sensors for alarm panels.

Good luck breaking mine. They are hurricane glass. They
shoot 8' 2x4s at them at about 90-100 mph to test them.

When mine were first released in the very early 70s, with heat
treated glass, the manufacturer had a video showing someone
trying to break it with a sledge hammer, repeatedly, and failing.

The will break with a sharp stone tho and
shatter into countless small pieces.

The doors weigh 285# each so even if they could,
it is going to take a big guy to lift them out.

Or a decent leaver. Easy enough to organise.