Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New filling hose required?

On 09/07/19 20:11, Tim+ wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
I am about to get a replacement washing machine and noticed in one
manual that it states the old filling hose should never be reused when
the machine is installed. I can see that it /might/ be better to replace
it, (or at least replace the rubber washer where it screws onto the
washing machine inlet) but if it is not leaking why is it essential to
replace it?

I must say that looking through specs and reviews of washing machines is
quite possibly the most mind-numbing and madness-inducing activity I've
experienced recently. Too much information!

Q: Do filling hoses last forever?
A: No
Q: Were you supplied with new hoses with the new machine?
A: Yes.

It'll only need a cold fill, but in any case I'll need a longer hose (at
least 2,2m) as the WM is that far from the cold water supply, and it has
to run behind the dishwasher.
Seems to be a bit of a no brainier unless you like floods.

Tim

Well, it might be somewhat less clear than you think according to the
reviews here reporting leaks with new or almost new hoses:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-inlet-hose-blue-2-5m-x/10955
https://www.toolstation.com/washing-machine-hose/p17946
Similar with Wickes, although the B&Q one gets good reports.

--

Jeff