Doug Miller

Default Figuring loads / block & tackle theory

In article , (Harry K) wrote:
"Greg O" wrote in message
"Michael Daly" wrote in message
On 16-Mar-2004,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

You know that, I know that, Mike knows that

I can't help but notice that he hasn't responded to a single one
of my posts.

Mike

One more round and I give up, admit defeat, and petition ALL science and
engineering books to change as they are all wrong!
Greg

http://science.howstuffworks.com/pulley.htm

Best I could find on the net. Do you see the force vector arrows in
the diagram? They show 100 lbs down force on the right, 100 lbs up
force on the right and another 100 lbs down force on the left. Notice
the two 100 lbs down? Yep, that would mean 200 lbs on the hook.
But wait a minute. There is one 100 lbs -up- force. That cancels one
of the downs leaving

No, it doesn't.

100 lbs remaining acting on the weight and the hook.

How about discussing my tests and the results (not just claiming I am
lying) or even better take minute and do the test yourself.

I've discussed your purported results ad nauseum, every time you've posted
them. And what you have posted is inconsistent at best, false at worst. For
example, in your latest report of your alleged results, you purport to have
force readings in each leg of the rope but your diagram shows only one scale.
That _can't_ be true. It isn't possible to take readings in two places with
one device. Either your diagram is wrong, or your numbers are wrong.

It's so easy to do this test, I can't imagine why you haven't done it yet.

Logic doesn't always work. Here is one example:

Two cars of equal mass, both going 50 mph crash head on. Car 1 feels
a crash equal to 100 mph.

Absolutely false. You clearly understand nothing of physics.

Each vehicle decelerates in the same time and distance as it would have, had
it collided with a fixed object at 50 mph.