Harry K

Default Figuring loads / block & tackle theory

"Greg O" wrote in message ...
"Michael Daly" wrote in message
On 16-Mar-2004, (Doug Miller) wrote:

You know that, I know that, Mike knows that

I can't help but notice that he hasn't responded to a single one
of my posts.

Mike

One more round and I give up, admit defeat, and petition ALL science and
engineering books to change as they are all wrong!
Greg

http://science.howstuffworks.com/pulley.htm

Best I could find on the net. Do you see the force vector arrows in
the diagram? They show 100 lbs down force on the right, 100 lbs up
force on the right and another 100 lbs down force on the left. Notice
the two 100 lbs down? Yep, that would mean 200 lbs on the hook.
But wait a minute. There is one 100 lbs -up- force. That cancels one
of the downs leaving

100 lbs remaining acting on the weight and the hook.

How about discussing my tests and the results (not just claiming I am
lying) or even better take minute and do the test yourself.

Logic doesn't always work. Here is one example:

Two cars of equal mass, both going 50 mph crash head on. Car 1 feels
a crash equal to 100 mph.

Harry K