Doug Miller

Default Figuring loads / block & tackle theory

In article , (Harry K) wrote:
[snip]
Test 2 - Rope over scale hook angle to anchor and tension eased
several times before reading. Three tries.

SCALE
I \
I \
I \
I \
I \
I \
I Anchor
16 LB weight

Readings:
bucket scale
18 21
16 21
16 21

[snip]

To all the naysayers out there. Do the damn test and be honest about
your results.

To you, Harry, I say: do the damn test and be honest about your results. Set
it up like you show in that diagram above and report what the scale
_at_the_top_ reads. Not the readings in the individual ropes. We're not
talking about the loads in the individual ropes. That's completely irrelevant.
The *only* point under discussion is the load _at_the_top.

I am and have been (at least 4 times now). Basically all
you all are doing is sticking your fingers in your ears and repeating
'tis not' rather than taking the time to do a simple test. Doug claims
he has but isn't honest about his readings as I just proved (again).

You have proved nothing except your own lack of understanding. The only thing
that matters is the weight _at_the_top.

I've been completely honest about my readings, Harry. Look at the post in
which I described my second test, for example. If I were making up the
readings, why would I report something that differed from theory by 20%?