Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Anybody ever painted a phone?

On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 12:23:50 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 10:28:25 -0700, wrote:

Too bad it's a black phone.

Oh well. It will probably need to be done with paint.

Here's a telephone paint job:
https://www.littledoveblog.com/2012/09/vintage-phone-refurbish/
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/painters-touch-2x-ultra-cover
Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover 2X pint.

Or paint it pink:
"Retro telephone DIY makeover using Rust-oleum candy pink spray paint"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbELkHqX4WA
Rust-oleum spray paint and surface primer.

Or, purple:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Purple-Rotary-Phone/
Rust-oleum Ultra Cover 2X primer and spray paint. Yuck.

Apparently, repainting phones is a sufficiently popular pastime that
can support at least one service company:
http://allproductspainting.com/telephone-refurbishing/

There are various shades of red available. It might be useful to
check the Pantone and Fed-STD-595 color chips and charts for the
correct shade of red.
https://www.krylon.com/spray-paint-color-center/colors/red-spray-paint/
http://ams-std-595-color.com
https://www.pantone.com
Actually, I'm not certain if there is a color standard for the old
hotline phones.

Also, be careful painting the vinyl coil cord. If the paint layers
are too thick, the paint might crack or flake when the coil cord is
extended.

Good luck.

Good Grief! Who knew there would be this much interest? Anyway, I did
find an outfit that sells handset cords of various colors and maybe I
can paint the phone to match the color cord I like. Thanks for all the
info Jeff.
Eric