Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry Peter Parry is offline

Default Fire escape ladders/ropes/descenders/ ...

On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 22:13:52 +0100, "NY" wrote:

I keep all my keys (front/back door, car) on a keyring that is always in my
trouser pocket, together with my wallet and mobile phone, with my trousers
close at hand at night. The reason I keep my keys on/near me is mainly so I
don't lose them by absent-mindedly putting them down "somewhere"; the
benefit for emergency situations is a bonus.

Hopefully in an emergency I'd either put my trousers on (if there was time)
or at least grab them, and so have the means to open doors, call the
emergency services, and move my car if that would make it easier for
emergency vehicles (or if it put it out of range of the fire setting the
fuel tank on fire, making a small fire bigger).

At least I wouldn't be faffing around trying to remember where each set of
keys were.

Many years ago the fire service responded to a house fire in a house
with two adults and two children. We found the family dead behind the
locked front door. The door key, which neighbours later told us was
usually on a shelf by the door, was found under the fathers body.

I am a great supporter of final exit doors which cannot be locked from
inside.