Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default Funicular railway power question

In article , news0073
@eager.cx says...

On Mon, 08 Jul 2019 09:01:06 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Its not that long ago that I heard about the extensive hydro power
(pressurised water) distribution systems they had in some large cities.

Including London, as late as about 1970. Pipes now used for telecoms.

The London Hydraulic Power Company, AFAIR.

I think you'll find that the system had been defunct since
full telephone access had covered the City and they'd lain
empty ever since.

They were then bought by Mercury when they were first allowed
to compete with BT and saved them a fortune in the cost of
installing their cables.

--

Terry

---