Posted to uk.d-i-y
Marland Marland is offline

Default Funicular railway power question

Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 08 Jul 2019 09:01:06 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

After serious thinking newshound wrote :
You really have to admire the ingenuity of people who managed to make
these work so well! It's (sort of) a logical successor to Brunel's
atmospheric railway.

+1

A very complex system to develop. I wonder why they developed it as a
below ground drive system, rather than on poles like a ski-lift?

Interesting stuff.

Its not that long ago that I heard about the extensive hydro power
(pressurised water) distribution systems they had in some large cities.

Including London, as late as about 1970. Pipes now used for telecoms.

The London Hydraulic Power Company, AFAIR.

Which was bought by Mercury Communications ( remember them) in the mid
seventies who realised they could utilise the pipes as ducts and what was
probably more valuable acquire the legal rights the Hydraulic company held
in being able to dig up up public roads it had held since the 19th century
to install and maintain infrastructure.

Another asset in London reused in a similar manner were the ducts along
streets that once carried the power supply cables for Trams and
Trolleybuses , even now the odd feeder pillar which connected the ducted
cables to a section of tram or trolley bus wiring remains in place
undisturbed for decades.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kk69521/10808318273

The odd one remains in place in other towns and cities as well.

GH