Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Funicular railway power question

On Mon, 08 Jul 2019 09:01:06 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

After serious thinking newshound wrote :
You really have to admire the ingenuity of people who managed to make
these work so well! It's (sort of) a logical successor to Brunel's
atmospheric railway.

+1

A very complex system to develop. I wonder why they developed it as a
below ground drive system, rather than on poles like a ski-lift?

Interesting stuff.

Its not that long ago that I heard about the extensive hydro power
(pressurised water) distribution systems they had in some large cities.

Including London, as late as about 1970. Pipes now used for telecoms.

The London Hydraulic Power Company, AFAIR.