Harry K

Default Figuring loads / block & tackle theory

Douglas and Rosemarie Miller wrote in message gy.com...
In article ,
says...
(Chris Lewis) wrote in message ...
According to :
Harry K wrote:
Don't bother, he won't believe you but just to prove it -again- I just
re-ran the experiment. Bucket weighed 26 lbs this time

scale reads 26 (taa daa!)
I\
I \
I \
I \
I \
I \
I \
bucket anchor
26 lb

Again he won't believe it and refuses to do the same experiment

You are either lying, or you've tied off the rope to the scale and the
anchor isn't doing anything, or possibly you don't have the scale in the
right place.

Or he anchored it to the bucket...

Hey, good point!. In practice it doesn't matter if the rope is
attached to an anchor or tied back to the bucket. The result is the
same. No forces are changed and the bucket remains in place. Think
about it.

But it *does* matter. The forces *are* changed, and the result is *not*
the same -- as you would know, if you ever conducted the test that you
keep challenging others to do.

The scale will read 52 lbs assuming it's between the hook and the rope,
and the rope is free to slide such that it needs to be tied off.

Right.

Yep, and that is just how I rigged it, scale from hook to rope and I
eased the rope on the scale several times before reading. Try it
yourself. It will only take you a minute.

If you actually conducted the test, rigged as you show in your diagram
above, then you're lying about the reading on the scale.

Here it is again. You are beginning to have me thinking I am wrong but
my tests prove I am right, and no, I am not lying as anyone can re-do
the test in a minute. I was wondering if my scale was perhaps not
reading right as it only goes to 25 lbs and my weight prior were near
that so I decreased the weight.

Test one rope over scale hook back to bucket:
SCALE
I I
I I
I I
I I
I I
I I
I I
16 Lb weight.

Just bucket = 16 lb
Rope over hook and back to bucket = 16lb

Test 2 - Rope over scale hook angle to anchor and tension eased
several times before reading. Three tries.

SCALE
I \
I \
I \
I \
I \
I \
I Anchor
16 LB weight

Readings:
bucket scale
18 21
16 21
16 21

I can't explain.
1. Where did the 18 reading come from? Anomalous but there it is and
I reported it.
2. Why 5 lbs more to the anchor? I know the angle changes the force
vector and thus (I assume) the reading some, but I wouldn't think 5
lbs worth. The angle (measured with a bevel gauge and then the saw
angle scale from that is:
40 degree give or take a degree.

While doing that I ran another test. Rope was laying in the water
between times so it was now soaked.

bucket 17 scale 21 to 23 depending on how the rope was eased on the
hook.

Once again the scale is crude but the readings are as I have given
them. Why would I lie? Anyone can repeat the test in a minute or
less.

Harry K