Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Plumber's Snake Oil?

Yes certainly, I think in a house with high water pressure it will have
little effect, the lower the pressure the more it will simply clog up pipes
until something goes wrong.
Then the scale will just return but your pipes aware probably scaled up. It
also depends on the makeup of the actual calcium or bits of old concrete
and plastic in the water, and since there is no way to get the clumped stuff
out its just going to go to the nears place it can lodge all clumped
together.
I personally feel that water treatment plants are the place where water
should be made limescale free if you believe that is more healthy.
Bah humbug.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"GB" wrote in message
On 07/07/2019 20:25, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
Someone has just asked me about the device sold to stop
your water pipes and tanks furring up, which consists of
a coil wound around the pipe that is then excited by
an oscillator.

Personally, I think the whole thing to be bollox.

Does anybody know the physics behind it?

It's something to do with money changing hands, perhaps?

I cannot see how orienting the calcium saly ions
in one particular direction will stop furring up
some distance away especially if there has been
turbulent flow in between.

I advised him to get a water softener fitted instead.